Sunday, September 11, 2016

Having the cake and eating it too

I want flowers. I want folks to gasp and say, "OOooo, what is that pretty thing climbing up your post?" Or, "Wow, what's that fragrance on your deck?"

Problem is, I don't wanna have to work for it.

Luckily, there are culprits in the plant kingdom who will let me be just as lazy as I please and still put on a show.

I'm a third generation beach bum gardener, and that's a lot of distillation over the decades. My grandmother managed to keep phlox going and my mother has a rank and file of gardenia bushes that she fusses over. By the time you get to me, however, it's pure stick-it-in-the-ground-and-see-if-it-lives mode.

Here, you will find my and my mother's and grandmother's successes that are especially for southeast coastal North Carolina.

Place is very important and the one big caveat I'll put on this blog. You can try lavender, lilacs, delphinium, and peonies all you want here and get your heart broken time and again, or you can cheat the plant shop and poke little more than a scrawny stem in the sand and watch that sucker take off and wow folks.

...And then take a walk on the beach. :-D

More Posts


No comments:

Post a Comment